Monday, August 18, 2008

Aziza

Well its sooo very difficult to choose one particular photo. I still can't figure out why exactly hv I picked out this one.
This photo is over-exposed as something is wrong with my digicam but the reason I like it is because it kind of exemplifies my mental state and confusion at a certain point in life over coming from a conservative muslim background but still being an atheist. Its an on-going debate with myself over identity and prioritizing family values over or my own beliefs. The colour 'pink' that I'm wearing has always been a major part of my identity, it has always been a very integral part of my life since the time i learnt the names of colors. A 'sleeveless dress' and 'a dupatta covering the head' are two very contradictory things, for me they signify the islamic heritage and at the very broadminded liberal upbringing of the environment that i come from.
Its very strange when most people meeting me for the first time are surprised to know that I'm a muslim..just because i dress a certain way..
Im a very rebellious and experimental person. The rebellious streak is visible by the impish look on my face and the experimentation comes in the form of wearing an earring as a 'bindiya'.
And lastly i love taking photos of myself so i thoroughly enjoyed this excercise. It was 2.30am when i clicked it after a family function but I fresh to the core at the thought of taking photos
I narrowed down to this photo as it has the elements of culture, emotion, fashion, fun and the love for visuals that are very like me.
- Aziza Syed

4 comments:

oops! said...

Aziza:
Good! V good...well expressed. But I do want you think about and figure for yourself why you chose this photograph over all else. The over exposure didn't bother me for a change, but the tilted frame did. Though, I hate using the flash. Now that you enjoy taking pictures of yourself, here's a challenge - post at least ONE pic per week, and not necessarily your face. - Ajay

oops! said...

I love the tranformation! For those who don't know, Aziza and I are roommates and it's such a change to see her all dressed up instead of the usual jeans and a tee! Also, the angle used in this pic makes it more interesting.And I really like the description - about how she's a Muslim girl and how her appearance and has never come in the way of her values. I could relate to it.

oops! said...

Oops! Sorry it's me Yakuta!

oops! said...

Conservative Muslim background??? BULL SHIT!!! You, my love, come from one of the most FORWARD Muslim households I know on this planet...

Now, I liked the explanation for the way you dress--like the dupatta and the sleeveless salvar kameez... it's an interesting approach towards the picture.. Good stuff, I say...

Radz